It is a cutaneous infection caused by a pox virus.
It is transmitted:
- By direct contact
- Through objects and things carrying infection
- Cellular proliferation of the lower layers of stratum malpighii produces multiple, closely packed, pear shaped lobules which compress the papillae until they appear as fibrous septa between the lobules.
- Many cells in the lobule contain ovoid, intracytoplasmic ,eosinophilic inclusions called molluscum bodies.
- Incubation period: 14-50 days.
- Lesion: single or multiple,shiny,pearly white,waxy,hemispherical, umblicated papule,with central punctum, size 1-10 mm.
- Site: face, trunk, genitals, side of chest, inner arm
- Age : Targets children over the age of 1 year but it can affect any age group.
- They resolve spontaneously but can take several months to do so.
Conventional methods treats lesions by cauterization. Cryotherapy is effective in larger lesions.
Molluscum can be treated by homeopathic medicines with remedy given based on totality and other generalities. Results are good. It takes a time of few weeks to few months in some cases but along with resolution of Molluscum eruptions, it also helps in improving other conditions if patient has as remedy is given based on totality of all complaints and patient’s details.
Some example of remedies which can help for Molluscum are as follows, final remedy selection is based on totality.
Silicea: It promotes reabsorbtion of fibrotic conditions and scar tissue. Ripens abscesses since it promotes suppuration.
Sulphur: A great remedy for various kind of skin affections but shall be used only if indicated and with advise from a homeopathic practitioner.
Natrum Mur: Greasy, oily, esp on hairy parts. Dry eruptions esp on the margin of the hairy scalp & bends of joints. Crusty eruptions. Oversensitive to all sorts of influences.
Teucrium: For affections of children. Itching causes tossing about all night. Very dry skin. Suppurating grooves in the nails.