Senior Citizens and COVID
SENIOR CITIZENS AND PANDEMIC
We are in the midst of a global pandemic right now and there is no denying that fear and anxiety about the spread of COVID-19 can be incredibly overwhelming. While the reactions may vary from person to person, it is important to remember that whatever you may be feeling right now, it is absolutely valid.
What exactly a lockdown means is “stay-at-home” or “shelter-in-place”
The Purpose of lockdown is to prevent the spread of infection from one person
to another, to protect ourselves and others.
Old age people may face
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Worsening of health problem
- Increased use of alcohol, tobacco or drugs
Tips for Senior Citizens to Stay Healthy Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
- Eat Healthy to Stay Fit
- Do Some Easy Exercises or yoga regularly
- Keep The Brain Active playing Sudoku,Carrom,Ludo,Chess, etc
- Keep in touch with your family and relatives on daily basis
- Keep Yourselves And Your Surroundings Clean
- Learn to use and download The Online Apps
Means and ways
- Stepping out of the house only for buying necessities.
- Reducing the number of trips outside-
- Ideally only a single, healthy family member making the trips when absolutely necessary.
- Order online /local shopkeeper delivering you
- Buy in bulk for few weeks ,plan your purchases.
- Know the health facility nearest to you
- Have a doctor’s number handy- physician/ online consultation
- Emergency numbers- doctor/ hospital/ ambulance
- Take your regular medicines on time and keep supplies for 3-4 weeks
Herbs – Immunity Booster (use these herbs in your day to day food)
Use the guidelines released by AYUSH Ministry for General care and immunity booster by Ayush
- Holy Basil.
- Herbal tea
News and social media:
- Stay away from too much news on radio and Tv
- See news only for a fixed hour
- Rely on reliable channels
- Do not see or forward negative news on social media
- Do not follow sensational news or social media posts -impact your mental state. Do not share any unverified news or information further.
- Do not keep discussing all the time about who got sick and how.
- If you have any symptom which worry you don’t hide. Do not hesitate to talk to your physician.
- Don’t go out unless very necessary
- Make sure to access and believe only the most reliable sources of information for self-protection.
- Learn about who got well and recovered.
- Talk to your physician. go for an online consultation
- Stick to the known advice- hand hygiene and keeping a physical distance from others.
- Have a fixed schedule
- Distract yourself from negative emotions by listening to music, reading, watching an entertaining programme on television. If you had old hobbies like painting, gardening or stitching, go back to them. Rediscover your hobbies.
- Eat well and drink plenty of fluids.
- Be physically active: Do simple indoor exercises that will keep you fit and feeling fit.
If u feel depressed – TALK to Someone -that’s the most important thing to do
- The stigma attached in our society with depression
- needs to be shed off
- Come out and talk!
- Talk to someone – friend, spouse, parents, teacher or
- any person whom you are comfortable with
- If that doesn’t help seek
- Professional help – see a counselor, see your physician
Role of Homoeopathy in Old Age
Homoeopathy is a revolutionary, natural medical science and a system of medicine, which is gentle and effective, considering all the problems of the person together both at the mental and physical level.
In old age there are a lot of conditions which require surgical intervention but same cannot be done because patient’s condition does not allow, in those cases also homoeopathy can be of help as a palliative. Homoeopathy is one such branch of therapeutics, which believes in treating the patient who is diseased and not merely diseased parts of the patients.
Help your loved ones by benefits of homoeopathy and let them live a better life condition. See or consult a homoeopathic practitioner is your area for yourself or your elders if they have any of the above age-related problems. Homeopathy has also been used in various State facilities all across the country and with beneficial results been reported so far. Do contact your registered Homeopathic practitioner if at all you test Covid positive and add that to your conventional treatment being taken.
Dr Geeta Rani Arora
Faculty, London College of Homeopathy.