Diarrhoea is a common health problem in india which can orccure during change of season and also due to outside food. In temperate climates, bacterial diarrhoea occur more frequently during the warm season, whereas viral diarrhoea, particularly diarrhoea caused by rotavirus peak during the winter. In tropical area, rotavirus diarrhoea occurs throughout the year, increasing in frequency during the drier, cool months, whereas bacterial diarrhoeas peak during the warmer, rainy season. The incidence of persistent diarrhoea follows the same seasonal patterns as that of acute watery diarrhoea.
- Frequent and Loose watery stools
- In some instances, mucosal adherence is associated with loose stools which indicates more towards dysentery.
- Watery stools: this happens due to toxin secretion by some bacteria. Recovery occurs when the affected cells are replaced by healthy ones after 2-4 days. 3
- Blood in stools due to mocusal invasion : E. coli and Salmonella can cause bloody diarrhoea by invading and destroying mucosal epithelial cells.
Following aspects need to be looked into to assure recovery:
- to detect dehydration, if present,
- determine its degree of severity
- to diagnose dysentery, if present;
- to diagnose persistent diarrhoea, if present,
- to evaluate feeding practices and determine the child’s nutritional status, especially to detect severe malnutrition;
- to diagnose any concurrent illness; to determine the cause
Treatment and Management:
- Watery diarrhoea requires replacement of fluids and electrolytes- irrespective of its cause. Options for replacement of fluids are :
- A solution of water with salt and sugar can also be given.
- Feeding should be continued during all types of diarrhoea to the greatest extent possible, and should be increased during convalescence so as to avoid any adverse effect on nutritional status.3 s
- Antimicrobials and antiparasitic agents should not be used routinely; most episodes, including severe diarrhoea and diarrhoea with fever, do not benefit from such treatment. The exceptions are: -dysentery, which should be treated with an antimicrobial or suitable homeopathic drugs can be given .3
- Diarrhoeal diseases can be treated effectively by homeopathic remedies. The treatment can be based on symptoms and presentation of case. Few recommendations are given below with symtoms, however its best to take in consultation with your registered homeopathic practitioner.
Aloes Socotrina : one of the best remedies to start with for loose motions due to bad food. The diarrhoea of Aloes is always associated with flatulence, and the patients have incontinence of the bowel when passing flatus or passing urine.”Diarrhoea, pain, and soreness, and burning in the rectum; stools copious and watery, with much flatus; great exhaustion and faintness after stool; every morning is driven out of bed for stool.”
Arsenic album : – It is indicated in acute gastritis when there are pains, thirst, restlessness, and diarrhoea. Diarrhoea with extreme weakness. Very offensive stools , with persistent coldness; dysenteric; white, involuntary; burning; chronic, watery and painful.
Nux Vomica : The diarrhoea consists of frequent small stools, with backache and a feeling as if more were to be evacuated. Ineffectual urge for stools and vomiting “constant urging.” Accompanied by nausea.
Colocynth : a good remedy for colitis accompanied by severe colic and diarrhoea.1
Before stools – Difficulty of retaining the stool Cutting colic Great urging.2
Diarrhoea with severe colic .Violent pains in bowels, extending down thighs .Much flatus. 2Weakness, paleness and great prostration 2
Veratrum album: Nausea, with violent and profuse vomiting, usually associated with diarrhoea. Vomiting of food, of green mucus, with cold sweat.
- Blackwood A, The food Tract: and its ailments and disease of peritoneum. RADAR Homeopathic Software
- Borland D, Homeopathy in Practice, RADAR Homeopathic Software
- WHO Readings on diarrhoea, Student Manual,1992
Dr Geeta Rani Arora