What are sinuses?
Sinuses are four pairs of air-filled cavities/spaces located in the skull in the region around the nose and the eyes. Purpose of sinuses is to provide mucus to upper airways which provides lubrication to upper respiratory tract and also provides as a vehicle for trapping viruses, bacteria, foreign material for removal, it give characteristics to voice ,lessens the weight of the skull and is involved with smell recognition.
What is sinusitis?
Inflammation in the inner layer of these cavities in known as sinusitis. When this happens, the sinuses get swollen and mucus secretion gets blocked inside the sinuses. The sinusitis can be infectious as well as non infectious. This can be nagging discomfort all the time or can have severe attacks which is varied for different patients.
What causes sinusitis can be?
- Obstruction of the various ostia
- Allergic reaction to pollens, animal fur ,certain foods and beverages
- Deviated nasal septum ,nasal polyp
- Impairment in ciliary function( there are small hair like parts in our nose which prevent travelling of infectious agents or harmful substances to sinuses)
- Impaired immunity
- Bacterial infection or fungi (in rare cases like immunocomprised cases).
An interesting fact is that many people have sinusitis in spite of not having any of the above causes and even after removal of the cause, which shows that sinusitis is beyond these causes and is more likely like a tendency to sinusitis. Here homeopathy has a wonderful role can a correct homeopathic remedy given on basis of constitutional line of treatment can reduce and remove the tendency to sinusitis and you can live a life free from this nagging disease. Want to take the right remedy you can contact us.
Symptoms of sinusitis
Different people come down with different symptoms when it comes to sinusitis, you can have any of the following group of symptoms if you have sinusitis.
- Runny nose – the discharge being thick and yellowish or greenish
- Nasal obstruction, blocked nose, obstructed sensation in the nose
- Soreness in throat
- Sensation of pressure in the face and head/ Headache
- Passage of mucus from the back of the nose into the throat (called post nasal drip or discharge) which causes tendency to hawk or clear the throat often
- Bad breath and bad taste in the mouth
- Anosmia or reduced sense of smell
- Cough with mucus production (more at night when lying down)
- Blocked sensation in one or both ears
People with Chronic sinusitis will have following symptoms:
- Nasal discharge and irritation
- Hawking of mucous or clearing throat often.
- Dull Headache especially in frontal region.
- Facial pain or pressure
- Fever and halitosis
- Cough (worse when lying down)
Diagnosis : can be confirmed clinically as well as getting a paranasal sinuses x ray done. CT might be needed in certain cases.
The blocked secretions can become infected due to growth of bacteria, fungi, etc. Infection of surrounding structures are uncommon complications of sinusitis. These structures include eye, the brain, the bone , overlying skin and nearby blood vessels.
General management: Sinusitis can be well managed by medical treatment and self care. The conventional line of medicines offers decongestants, anti allergics and sometimes antibiotics as line of treatment.
Home treatment and self management include:
- Flush your nasal passages, clear your nose in morning
- Steam – you can add few drops of eucalyptus oil which can be beneficial
- Take a hot shower
- Take increased quantity of liquids which should be more of water and fresh juices ,avoid tea and caffeine
- Remove material from your house which can have allergy triggers , this sometimes helps as there might be triggring factors, like carpets, mould on walls, some plants
- Avoid humid areas
- Try jal neti- a yoga activity but should be learnt and done under supervision only (not during acute sinusitis )
Homeopathic treatment for permanent cure
Homeopathy has answer to this problem for it can resolve the acute sinusitis as well as drastically reduce the tendency to get sinusitis. For acute attacks are various remedies which can be prescribed based on symptoms of the case. Some examples are given below, but we recommend to consult a registered homeopathic practitioner. Also, for complete treatment of chronic or recurrent sinusitis one must see a homeopathic practitioner. A homeopath in such a case will prescribe a holistic remedy covering the physical symptoms and emotional attributes of patient so as find the remedy based on totality which will boost immunity and reduce or annihilate the tendency to sinusitis. At Dr Geeta’s clinic we have many cases of sinusitis treated successfully.
Few homeopathic remedies for acute sinusitis are:
Bryonia alba: Nose catarrh extends to frontal sinuses .Frontal headache, frontal sinuses involved.
Kali bichromicum : Pressing in frontal sinuses ,catarrh in frontal sinuses. Pain at the root of nose,as if in the bones. Chronic inflammation of frontal sinuses with stopped up sensation.
Hepar sulph: ailments after exposure to cold air,, sinusitis. Post nasal discharge with much hawking of mucous. A noisy cough aggravated by cold draft of air and better by warm drinks.
Sticta : headache will dull pressure in forehead, at root of nose. Catarrhal headache before discharge appears.
Pulsatilla pratensis – Congestion of blood to head and engorgement of the sinuses. Coryza with loss of smell and taste; dry and fluent alternately, or stopped up in evening, with loss of smell and taste and appetite; obstruction of nose in evening; yellow or yellow-green in morning; nostrils sore; frontal headache.
- Davidson’s Principles and Practice of Medicine, 21st Edition
- Boericke W, Boericke O. E. New Manual of Homoeopathic MateriaMedica& Repertory [with relationship of remedies]. B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd, New Delhi –110055.
- Hering, C., The Guiding Symptoms of our MateriaMedica Vol. 1 to 10, Reprint Edition 1993, B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd, New Delhi –110055.
- Gupta ,R. Directory of disease and cure in homeopathy , B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd, New Delhi –110055.
- Satya, P. Analogy of Pain