Dementia is a slow, progressive in ability to remember, learn, think or perform mental tasks. It may occur as a result of Brain injury, Brain infections, Alzeihmer’s disease, Stroke, Parkinson’s disease, Hypothyroidism, Vitamin B12 Deficiencies,Excessive alcohol or toxins ingestion, or other brain diseases.
Common symptoms of dementia are:
- Inability to remember mainly recent events and activities
- Confusion in regard to time and place
- Inability to find right words while speaking
- Lack of ability to perform the daily activites at the same pace as earlier.
- Change in behaviour and personality occurs, example becoming more angry, irritable, anxiousness, depression or mood swings.
- In severe cases the patient may need help to perform the daily acitivities eg, eating, dressing, taking bath, going to the washroom
- Hallucinations and delusions may also be seen
5 Warning signs of Dementia
- Forgetting and misplacing things
- Missing monthly payments and bills
- Forgetting the day and time
- Difficulty finding words to speak
- Taking more time to do the normal day to day Activities
Some simple solutions for managing life with dementia include:
- Making notes for the all the tasks to be done
- Avoiding new changes in the daily routine
- Presence of assistance while performing the daily activities at home and while going outside home
- Easy access to clocks and calenders for keeping pace with date and time
- Making a diary for all important telephone numbers
- Taking daily walk and exercise
- Meeting people and Social Gatherings
- Measures to ensure Safety like keeping all knives and sharp things in a safe place, removing the gas plugs.
Dementia and accompanying symptoms causing interference in day to day activities should be timely consulted with Doctor.
Occupational, Group and Music therapy by psychologists may help stimulating the brain and helping in maintaining conversational and interpersonal skills
Homeopathy is a very individualistic based treatment, each ailment can have many remedies and final selection depends on patients individualistic symptoms.
Some common Homoepathic Medicine that can be taken to relieve symptoms of dementia are:
Ginkgo biloba– In cases of weakness of memory and difficulty in thinking.
Bacopa Monnieri- It is mostly used as a tonic for absent mindedness and short of memory.
Medicines must be taken after proper consultation with a homeopathic physician.
About The Author
Dr Geeta Rani Arora ,BHMS, MD is a homeopathic practitioner and with a clinical experience of more than 15 years She has presented many papers on National and International Level including 66th LIGA congress in December 2011, LMHI conference in May 2014 in India, LIGA Conference at Paris in 2014, Research conference in Malaysia, LMHI, Paris 2014 and many more. She is also one of the Editor of journal “The Homeopathic Heritage” one of the oldest monthly homeopathic journals. She also has a diverse experience to work in the field of regulatory affairs I Homeopathic manufacturing for more than 7 yrs and used her expertise of various areas to being the best into her practice. She is faculty member of London College of Homeopathy, UK. She practices in Kalkaji, New Delhi and can be reached for appointments at firstname.lastname@example.org and 91-9718063158, 91-11-26431955.
Dr Guneet Walia BHMS
Homoeopathic Consultant Dr guneet is a homeopathic consultant at Asalsol, West Bengal and currently works at Dr.Batra’s Homeopathy. She has a clinical experience of more than 9 years and works to find the root cause and treat the problem based on homeopathic principles. email@example.com